Another gift from Hollywood means another viewing party! The gift I mention is the re-vamp of Arrested Development. The critically-acclaimed cult hit was canceled on-air after just three seasons, because of all the knuckle draggers who’d rather watch Honey Boo Boo and nouveaux riche housewives grappling with middle age, via a liquid diet. The liquid being primarily vodka.
But Netflix graced us with their ingenuity, creating and airing a long-awaited Season Four. Will there be a Season Five? Yes. It’s only a matter of getting all the actors together at one time. A criticism of Season Four was that all the actors were in separate scenes, with no real footage of the Bluth family all together. It’s a dynamic worth waiting for.
So prepare yourselves, darlings! Scroll down for tips on throwing the ultimate Arrested Development viewing party!
It wouldn’t be complete without frozen dipped bananas and corn balls; two major references to the series. Corn balls can be made with a hush puppy recipe – but I just winged it with some corn flour, eggs, a dash of milk, and spices. No matter what, add onion powder and a dash of cayenne to keep the cornballs from being too bland.
I even created Blue Man Balls for the eternal mess Tobias Funke. Just make some good old-fashioned Rice Krispies Treats with blue food dye added to the marshmallow mix, and roll into balls instead of laying in a pan.
As with any viewing party:
– Dress up as your favorite character and ask guests to do the same. Laughter is guaranteed when every single guest walks through the door.
– Lower the lights. It discourages loud conversation so enthusiasts can enjoy the film.
– Have plenty of pillows and blankets on hand – you want guests to settle in and get cozy!
– Have a thematic gift, and use it as a prize for the fan who knew the most trivia about the film or series.
– Refresh drinks and pass around trays of food mid-program so guests needn’t take their eyes off the TV.